Saturday, February 27, 2010

Contenders Series #11: Gorillaz - "Superfast Jellyfish"

(see also:  Jenny's Coachella Preview, Day Three)

Download:  Gorillaz - Superfast Jellyfish

First, the song:

I've been obsessing a lot lately.  As I've mentioned on Facebook, Buzz, and maybe even to you in person, I've watched Auto-Tune the News #10 way more than anyone could think is healthy.  I play songs over and over again now, and I never used to do that.  I blame my job.

I'm not going to go into some kind of sub-Dilbert rant here about how office jobs are boring.  I think that comedy gold mine may be just about exhausted by now (but what's the deal with airline food, am I right?). My point is simply that sitting in front of a computer for ten hours a day magnifies the smallest annoyances into things that must be dealt with right now.  Do I have to pee?  I just went half an hour ago, but ... now that I'm thinking about it, I kinda do ... and now I cannot think about anything else except the fact that my bladder may explode before I finish typing this sentence.  Is it too hot?  It IS!  Is it too cold?  ABSOLUTELY!

So, when it comes to a super-catchy pop song, it's the worst kind of itch.  Aaron, it's been fifteen minutes since you've listened to "Superfast Jellyfish" ... don't you want to hear it again right now?  Not after you finish this batch of documents, not after you send this email ... right now.  It's got the guy from Super Furry Animals and De La Soul.  You love Super Furry Animals and De La Soul.  Doesn't it just feel like your whole world clicks into place for that chorus?  You should listen to it again right now.  And then maybe you should listen to it again.

This could happen to you.

Official Site
Hype Machine
Pre-Order Plastic Beach

Second, Coachella:

This is a pretty good day here.  I think my "I would pay actual money to see this band" cutoff is about #12 (sorry, Curt).  It's also the Day of the Sacred Cows, and, if my blog gets accepted onto Hype Machine (fingers crossed), countless strangers will come here to flame me for the fact that I would rather see Little Boots than Pavement/Spoon/Yo La Tengo/Sunny Day Real Estate/etc.  I don't know what to tell you, angry internet people ... I would.  I'm not saying she belongs in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  I know Pavement invented music and everything, and I'm excited to see them at Sasquatch, but ... Little Boots is fun.

Also, I would not miss Sly & the Family Stone for anything, but the possibility of that show just being drugged-out and sad (along with the possibility that Sly doesn't show at all) knocks them down a few spots.  It would be my #1 priority if I was there, but ... no guarantees.

(1) Phoenix - "Everything is Everything"
(2) Thom Yorke - "Hearing Damage"
(3) Miike Snow - "Animal"
(4) Gorillaz - "Superfast Jellyfish"
(5) De La Soul - "Fallin'"
(6) Matt & Kim - "Lessons Learned"
(7) Little Boots - "Earthquake"
(8) Sly & The Family Stone - "Family Affair"
(9) Pavement - "Summer Babe (Winter Version)"
(10) Julian Casablancas - "4 Chords of the Apocalypse"
(11) Spoon - "You Got Yr Cherry Bomb"
(12) Yo La Tengo - "Our Way to Fall"
(13) Florence & The Machine - "You Got the Love"
(14) Owen Pallett - "This is the Dream of Win and Regine"
(15) The Big Pink - "Dominoes"
(16) Local Natives - "Airplanes"
(17) Sunny Day Real Estate - "In Circles"

No comments:

Post a Comment